Thursday, July 17, 2008

819-GPRS Serial Cellular Data Modem


Okay, okay. I know what you're thinking: "A serial cellular data modem? Where's the Ethernet port?!" While Ethernet is quickly becoming the interface of choice, the fact remains that thousands and thousands of devices out there only have a serial port. I'm pretty sure I don't even have a serial cable in my briefcase, but the fact is I should. One of these days I'm going to come across a serial-only device and I'm going to have to find the local Radio Shack. In all likelihood, it will be an 819 from CalAmp. This little cellular data modem has been around for years and there are thousands of them out there, in both CDMA and GSM versions. Here's the blurb about the 819-GPRS from CalAmp:

The LandCell 819-GPRS cellular data modem gets you connected with a quad-band integrated platform through a serial connection. With plug-and-play installation in a diverse range of applications, the 819 from CalAmp helps you un-wire any communication-ready machines, systems and next generation devices. The 819 features packet data transmission speeds up to 86 kbps and offers a JAVA application development platform (J2ME) for quick system integration.
Click here to visit the website.

No comments: